Moving house can be exciting but is definitely exhausting. There are things you can do to put yourself in the best position to move.
1-2 Months prior to moving
- Start planning – look at the costs and convenience of truck rental and friends or take the pain away and get removalists. If you're not sure what help you should visit www.upmove.com.au — Australia’s removalists marketplace where people with large or heavy deliveries or home moves find local moving companies or removalist services with just one enquiry.
- Book time off at work
- Look at acquiring moving/packing materials – boxes, packing tape, paper, and textas for moving.
- Try to get butcher paper, for longer moves newspaper can stain items.
- Don't get boxes that are too big, and if they are big, don't fill them to the top as they will be very heavy.
- If you know where you are moving to, try to plan the furniture to go into which room.
- Have a plan for what you're going to do with any pets for the day or week of the move.
- Start taking notes about who you get mail from so you can update them of your new address or cancel any subscriptions. You will be surprised how much mail you receive.
- Magazines subscriptions
- Car insurances
- Car registrations
- Donate, throw out, or sell unwanted items as you begin packing
- or plan a garage sale with these items
2 – 3 Weeks before the big day
- Confirm the day you can have access to your new property – Real Estate Agent or rental agency
- Book in your removalists or rental truck –
- the busiest time is Friday, so if you want a cheaper move aim for mid week.
- Book a cleaner or bond cleaner if required
- Begin packing the non-essentials, but remember to label the boxes
- Excess toiletries
- Bathroom items
- Identify fragile items that will require extra attention, box and label them clearly.
- Schedule the disconnection and connection of any utilities at both addresses and redirection of mail
- Start eating any excess food in the freezer that wont travel well
- Pack and keep a tool kit required for any disassembly/reassembly at either end of the move.
- Keep the cleaning products and vacuum cleaner handy
1-5 Days before moving
- Confirm redirection of mail
- Start cleaning the fridge and freezer out. The freezer will need some time to defrost
- Disassemble any furniture ahead of time. This will save time, and head aches. Put screws, bolts, nuts in clearly labelled zip lock bags.
- Depending on the distance of the move, remove any fuel from lawnmowers
- Confirm removalists or truck and helpers, and work out how you're going to pick up the truck if you're renting it.
- Confirm the time of availability on your new home.
- Pack an overnight bag – so you have things to wear after you've finished moving, but haven't unpacked yet.
- Pack your valuables you want to move yourself – passports, certain jewellery, etc
- If you're planning on sleeping in your new home, make sure you have some bedding available to sleep on when you get there.
- Keep separate packs of snacks and water bottles to keep you going during the move
- Set aside any items you are wanting to move yourself
- Organise contents insurance for the new property.
- Scope out the area at the new property and have a few plans for where the removalists can park if not in the driveway.
- Start cleaning.
At your old home:
- Remove bedding and disassemble beds – keep track of the beds that you want access to the first night. These should be one of the first things you set up when you arrive.
- Do a final inspection for any items the removalists may have missed – my removalists missed a 90 x 120cm painting as they were needing another box to pack it in.
- Look behind doors
- In cupboards
- In sheds
- Leave a forwarding address for the new residents
- Check the removalists have the new address and the parking plan upon arrival.
- Make sure you have your essentials and/or valuables
- Lock the windows, doors and turn off the lights.
- Make sure you have all the keys
At your new home:
- Verify the important utilities are working:
- Heating & Cooling
- If the property isn't clean, do this while it's empty. If you have early access to the property, do this ahead of time.
- Focus on cleaning the areas that you are putting the immediate items – beds, fridge
- Assemble beds and make up beds as soon as possible.
- Begin unpacking – start with the kitchen and bathroom and other essentials
Change of Address Checklist
Notify your change of address to
- Credit card companies, i.e. visa, diners, fuel cards
- Post office for redirection of mail
- Registrar of electors (at Post Office)
- Registrar of motor vehicles & drivers license
- Pet registration
- Tax department
- Insurance companies (house, contents, car, health etc)
- Hire purchase or finance company
- Investment companies
- Local council
- Shops who may send you catalogues or cards
- Clubs and organisations
- Police (if you own and store firearms)
- Publications you subscribe to
- Who else sends me mail? See 1-2 months prior to moving.
If you're looking for the right kind of company to help you move check out www.upmove.com.au — Australia’s removalists marketplace where people with large or heavy deliveries or home moves find local moving companies or removalist services with just one enquiry.